If you thought the Windows 8 alarm feature was a step up, wait till you try the improved version of the Alarm and Clock app. Here is a look at how to use alarms in Windows 10.
Setting the alarm
- To access the alarm, hit start. Then, you can either type “alarm” in the search bar or you can open all apps in the start menu. If you are searching for “alarm”, you will find it as the first option in the results. Under all apps, the feature is placed in a chronological order.
- The app will open to the first option of the feature that is “alarms”. The other options, all of which are placed on top of the screen, include “world clock”, “timer” and “stop watch”.
- To set a new alarm, click the “plus sign” at the bottom right.
- At this point, you should see a rotating time setter right below the heading that reads “new alarm”.
- Pick the hour and the minutes by using the up and down arrows. Your choice will be highlighted. Next, choose between AM and PM and you will be done.
- Below the rotating time setter, you will see the duration from now to the time the alarm is set to go off.
- To save the alarm, click on the floppy disc icon at the bottom right.
- If you intend to use an alarm often, you may want to give it a name. This is the first option on the screen. Simply type any name that you like.
- Choose the days on which you want the alarm to be repeated. You can take your pick from all the days of the week or set the alarm to “only once” if you don’t want it to be a regular thing.
- Pick your favorite alarm sound from the 10 available options by clicking on it. You can test the sound by clicking on the play button next to it.
- Choose or disable snooze time. You can pick from 5 minutes to 1 hour as your snooze time.
Changing and deleting existing alarms
- To change an existing alarm, simply click on it and you will see the time setter on your screen. Choose the new alarm time and click on the save button (the floppy disc icon) at the bottom right.
- To delete an existing alarm, click on the alarm to get to the time setter and you will see the bin icon to your bottom right. The set time will already be highlighted, so all you have to do is click on the delete button to remove it.
- Another way is to click on the “select alarms” button, which is right next to the plus sign button at the bottom right. A check box will appear next to the alarms. Check those that you want to delete and then click on the delete button. To remove the “check box”, click on the “X” button.
When the alarm rings
When the alarm goes off, you get the option to either dismiss it or hit the snooze button. Once again, you can choose the snooze time. To change the snooze time, pick from the options available in the snooze bar and then click on the snooze button at the bottom left.
A few things to remember!
- The alarm will work even if the app is closed or running in the background or if you have other apps/programs open.
- If you do see a notification stating that the app will only work if the device is awake, you can change system settings to stop the device from going into sleep mode. For this, go to settings; then to system; then to power and sleep and change the device sleep settings.
- The alarms app in Windows 10 does not have a volume control feature. So, you will have to adjust this from the speakers setting on the device. Set it to max volume and make sure that you unplug your headphones.
- The alarm will only work as long as the system is switched on. So, keep the device plugged in to ensure that it does not run out of power.